Ancient Greek Dove Coin Swivel Pendant with Diamonds
- 14kt yellow gold
- .13 ctw diamonds
- Swivel pendant design that allows for both sides of the coin to be shown
- Handmade in our Waco, TX studio
- Certified ancient coin
- Date: ca 335 B.C.
- Mint: Greek empire - Sikyon
- Denomination: Hemidrachm (1/2 drachma) - equivalent of a half dollar
- Metal: Silver
- Obverse: The dove symbolized spiritualism and renewal
- Reverse: The chimera, a mythical hybrid creature, was chosen for this coin because it was a feared monster that was killed by the hero Bellerophon and Apollo. This symbol appeared on most major coinage of Sikyon
This coin is thought to be a representation of war and peace. The front depicts a dove, and the reverse depicts a fierce chimera. A chimera is a mythical hybrid creature with the head of a lion, a goat arising from its back and a tail that ends in a snakes head. The dove on the obverse of the coin represented the main emblem of the city and a symbol for spirit. Doves were very honorable animals because they were known to be kind, peaceful, and were a representation of love and devotion to the Greeks and Romans.
Handmade with love
We take pride in creating unique works of wearable art, right here in our downtown Waco jewelry studio.
Come watch us work at 319 S. 4th St, B100, Waco, TX 76701, Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-6pm.